Click here to learn how to join the First Strike Nation!
KYT, Andy, Derek, and Elliot make Standard predictions for Pro Tour Guilds of Ravnica this weekend, talk frankly about Modern feelings, and welcome Jonathan Medina for his take on Ultimate Masters and those two dread words: Magic Finance.
- (00:04:17) Has Derek lost faith in GB in Standard? Or can GB win the Pro Tour this weekend? What deck does Andy feel will win the Pro Tour?
- (00:12:11) Andy won a PPTQ win with UR Drakes! Can that deck beat Boros Weenie? Where does White-Red Angels stand in the Standard metagame? What are Derek’s predictions for decks in the Pro Tour top 8?
- (00:23:55) Is the 3 year DCI ban for Dan Lanthier’s appropriate? What do the guys think?
- (00:28:29) What is the reception for the late format change to Ultimate Masters Grand Prix Vancouver in December? Will this change increase attendance?
- (00:38:18) Are people falling out of love with Modern? Would it be better for Modern to be a heavily-policed ban format, or a wild west of constructed Magic?
- (00:43:26) What is the one thing that each host feels contributed most to their growth as a Magic player? Is it playing with better players? Knowing your weaknesses and fixing them? Or is it understanding the concept of card advantage?
- (00:50:01) Jonathan Medina’s early reaction to Ultimate Masters. What kind of EV (Expected Value) can you expect from pre-ordering a box of Ultimate Masters?
- (01:07:20) So what about that Reserve List? Is Magic Finance a bad word? Why is Jonathan so positive about the value of Ultimate Masters?
- (01:23:08) Card Advantage master lesson: How many cards do you have to Scry to equal drawing a card?
First Strike is a Magic: The Gathering debate-style podcast hosted that discusses the week’s hottest competitive and social topics of the game.