Click here to learn how to join the First Strike Nation!
KYT, Andy, and Derek are joined by Alex Bianchi, who is returning to the Pro Tour after qualifying by Top 4 of the RPTQ in Toronto last weekend! They talk Rivals of Ixalan Sealed, the dominant decks in Standard, and are joined by Jonathan Zhang to peek at the Modern metagame and prepare for Legacy in Seattle.
- (00:01:51) How did Alex prepare for the Rivals of Ixalan Sealed RPTQ this past weekend? Did he prepare more for Sealed or Draft? What advice does he have for anyone who still has to play an RPTQ coming up?
- (00:09:16) Is it really a good idea to only play one round of draft to determine top 4 of an RPTQ? How was Derek’s Sealed RPTQ?
- (00:22:19) Is UB too dominant in Standard? Why does Derek like Grixis Energy over UB?
- (00:29:34) So how good is the RG Dinosaurs deck that took down the MOCS on MTGO?
- (00:35:17) Logan Nettles’ Modern MOCS Metagame breakdown had Hollow One in the top spot. Is it too busted? How does Jonathan Zhang feel about the Grishoalbrand vs Hollow One matchup?
- (00:43:28) Are we finally seeing a top 2 metagame in Modern? Is Faithless Looting too egregious for Modern?
- (00:54:08) What is Jonathan Zhang preparing for Legacy in Seattle this weekend? Is he ready for Standard? Should he play The Scarab God, or Mono-Red?
First Strike is a Magic: The Gathering debate-style podcast hosted that discusses the week’s hottest competitive and social topics of the game.